Saturday, March 24, 2007

Log Cabins Squares on a loom

Traditional version:


I had a few people ask me about making a log cabin square, the one pictured below is crochet. I also know how to loom them, but I crochet much faster, which I need to do- 64 squares for the afghan exchange. While doing the squares on a loom is not hard, to me it is a little time consuming because you have to do a little extra. My version of a log cabin square, you work with balls of yarn and knit straight through. The traditional log cabin, you move the square around an knit as you go. I messed up with the colors on the traditional square- the colors and I forgot to bind off and had to go back do it. Please let me know if I need to change my wording, I hope it is not confusing.

My Version:

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been knitting a log cabin baby blanket in two colors with 2 balls of yarn. It looks like a bulls' eye--center rectangle is one color, around it in a square in color 2, then back to around it in a square in color 2. I don't have to change balls very often. Your loom squares look very nice. I like the cornered effect--it looks very nice.

Little Ol' Liz said...

Naomi -
It's down right awesome! I've been thinking a Log Cabin motif was doable, but couldn't get my hands to cooperate. You've done it - bravo!
I like the things you've posted to your blog. Keep it up! :-)

Anonymous said...

These are really neat but they do look time consuming. But I love to loom. Thanks for showing us.

Crafting in Yoohooville said...

Congratulations! You've done it ;-) I'm really impressed that you've figured out how to do it on a loom. I can't quite do that yet.

Concetta

Made by Mimi said...

I absolutely love it! I have been wanting to do log cabin squares for a while. Thanks for sharing!!!

tonya5015 said...

i really like your loomed log cabin square. a friend of my is a needle knitter and she was making some for a project and i envied her caused i couldn't figure out how to do it on the loom. thanks for the pattern. i'm going to give it a try.

will you be making a blanket or was this just a trial run?

Anonymous said...

I love the Log Cabin Squares. I would like to try them. Thank You for Sharing them. Very Nice. Great Job

Bucky

Kelley said...

Cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I like your pattern better than the traditional, it seems to look more togeather.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your pattern! I now only have to find the time to start making one. Is this only one type of log cabin square?

John

Anonymous said...

I think your blog is very nice, wish I had the brains to do some of the wonderful works I have seen. I like the log cabin square which would use up so many of the leftovers I have. Not sure of what the traditional colors are but love the idea behind it.

Unknown said...

That's interesting - using intarsia to simulate the mock cabin gives a very neat result